Thursday, August 1, 2013

JCo Donuts - It's All a Hype!


It's been a long time since I wanted to try JCo Donuts because of the raves from my friends. Plus there were a lot of positive reviews online on it. So I braved the long line in SM Mall of Asia; took me 45 minutes to get my donuts! Wow! I haven't been that patient waiting to get a taste of something... Oh well...

I ordered a box of 24 donuts, I just let the server give me the stuff that were bestsellers since I didn't have any idea which ones to order.


My first bite of the Al Capone was ok. It was not too sweet and texture is just fine. I was probably expecting more because of the raves of everyone that I talked to. In reality, I still liked the donuts that I had in Vietnam sold in a small donut shop in Saigon. That's actually the best donut that I've had - soft, chewy with a lot more cream filling, but unfortunately we don't have it here...

I think JCo Donuts created a niche in the donut/food industry because of the catchy names of their donuts plus their product marketing was very good. But I won't go back there to get more donuts. I think the long lines and the time that I would waste to get their overhyped but ordinary-tasting donuts is not really worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the Philippines now for a vacation & saw the unbelievable line outside MOA on a very rainy Saturday afternoon that I couldn't believe the drive of those people in line who would brave the uncomfortable outdoor conditions just to grab and carry those bundled 2 yellow boxes which seems to be the latest 'fashion accessory' wherever you go these days.

    I just had to smile because the last time I visited the Philippines, it was DSLRs strapped around the neck or shoulder of everyone who's just out there mall strolling (Mall Photography...?). On this recent visit, it's now 2-4 yellow boxes proudly being carried by people...not to mention an hour average of queue prior to carrying those (I did timed it while eating at the Yoshinoya beside it haha.)

    Your piece is right on target. Don't get me wrong, I like eating donuts though I haven't and honestly have no intentions of lining up to get my hands on those J.CO donuts for the same conclusion you had after going through with the experience. Everything I envisioned J.CO to be has been confirmed through this blog entry even without me trying it on my own.

    I agree, to spend 45-60 minutes just to wait in line (and add the 2 hours of metro traffic) just to get those 4 dozens of yummy treats home, I'm sure there's no big difference from the GoNuts Donuts & Krispy Kremes you could have gotten in line for 5 minutes...well except for the fact that "It's J.CO!"

    "I think the long lines and the time that I would waste to get their overhyped but ordinary-tasting donuts is not really worth it." - very well said!

    ReplyDelete